Smart Wires: VPLS
The Smarter Network Technology
Exponential-e is the UK’s pioneer of corporate networks delivered using Virtual Private LAN Service (VPLS) technology. VPLS is a Layer 2 Network technology and its advantage over alternative network technologies is that it allows geographically-diverse locations to connect together as if on the same Local Area Network (LAN).
We were the first UK company to design and build a carrier-class VPLS Network back in 2006.
Creating a virtual Cloud for any-to-any connectivity
VPLS extends the plug-and-play functionality in the LAN across the Wide Area Network (WAN) by facilitating the creation of a completely private Layer 2 virtual Cloud to which customers can connect all of their offices in order to gain any-to-any connectivity. All services appear to be on the same LAN, regardless of location.
True convergence over one connection
VPLS enables the provision of multiple services such as Voice, video and data over a single access circuit. Thus, bringing true convergence of triple play onto the WAN and most importantly for security, keeps these services separate from each other. The core Network serves as the platform for converging services. We call this our Smart Wires approach to service creation.
Exponential-e customers take advantage of VPLS as a building block to converge their services on our Service Creation Platform using Smart Wires. Customers are able to access the services on our Service Creation Platform with simplicity, economy of scale, security, separation and Quality of Service.
VPLS technology combined with Ethernet Demarcation Devices (EDDs) for end-to-end QoS
The EDDs allow us to hand off different services as separate virtual circuits across one physical circuit and enable us to guarantee end-to-end Quality of Service on all of our circuits. As a result, any faults that occur can be quickly located and fixed promptly limiting disruption to daily activities.
Benefits of a VPLS based Network
Simplified network management - adding and changing sites as there is no routing in the core of our Network that is visible to the customer
- A true end-to-end SLA: including the access circuit to your site.
- Low latency between sites (no router hops) and reduced complexity.
- Easier virtualisation and replication as Layer 2 Connection requires no routing to contend with.
- Converge voice & data networks on multiple VPLS Connections.
- Reduced administration effort for easier network planning & lower cost.
- Customers are free to control their own IP addressing schema and routing.
- EDD provides full visibility of the circuit and 24 / 7 monitoring.
- Fully supported services with end-to-end QoS, intelligent distribution of bandwidth and six Classes of Service.
VPLS gives us a service-oriented architecture from which our customers can plug and play with a range of services: data, voice, security and cloud. We are delivering simplicity and operational efficiencies for IT heads as they focus on getting return on investments made.